Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Actions speak louder than words!"  or "Preach the Gospel, if necessary use words!"  These are quotes from some very good people in my life; my parents and para-phrased from St. Francis, my name-sake.

Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people’s shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen
.

I must admit, I think this is the first time I have read or heard "they tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them." That grates like fingernails on a chalk board to me!  BUT, there are many times when I hear the gospel reading and I check it off my list -- 'yup, I do that!'  But do I really?  Do I take the words to heart and let them penetrate me to the very core?  or Do I incorporate the values and make them part of my life just when it is convenient?  

I know, yesterday I was very judgmental of your Daddy in the office.  I judge I was justified -- I still stand by my opinion, but that does not give me the right or an excuse to be judgmental.  I obviously in a pissed-off and self-righteous moment had forgotten the very Gospel of that day.  The one that I wrote was 'short and crisp and to the point' and should be memorized by all!  I ask your forgiveness and thank God for the gift of today and the opportunity to  take these scriptures to heart.  Today is a new day! 

Love you!
MOM

1 comment:

  1. Mom
    I think this is a really difficult message to live by. It's so easy to kept caught up in the heat of the moment or in the emotions firing through you. It's almost as if we stop seeing clearly, are vision becomes impaired. I really struggled with this challenge last week as my students took TCAP. I was so wrapped up in my own feelings of insecurity and fear that I projected on others and placed myself on an un-touchable throne where I was the model of perfect teaching and all other were beneath me. It is an ugly place to find yourself in. I was so proud of my students because they all completed a very very difficult test in the time alloted and I was happy because we didn't have cheat. The kids were prepared and their stamina was sound, but all my principal could talk about was how amazing Alexis was and how hard she had worked and how far she had gone to make sure all the teachers proctoring her test did it just the way she wanted. I found myself hurt because I knew her ways were not always ethical and I got away from teaching with her for those specific reasons, yet no matter what I do I always fall behind in her shadows. But instead of festering or harboring feelings of resentment I need to led go and continue to teach and lead with a heart of love guided by the grace of God and taking this gospel to heart is one of the first steps. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete