Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thursday, February 21, 2013
Why do we like Queen Esther let ourselves get into such a bind before we ask God for help.  To be seized with mortal anguish, an orphan and prostrate on the ground or stone slab floor and FINALLY coming to God for help seems so unnecessary when we believe in a God that is all loving as is so beautifully shared in the Gospel.  These readings remind me of how important it is to invite God to walk with us with our first waking breath.  I love reading the prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyola which we received on the back of a card when our current Bishop was introduced to the Diocese of Cheyenne.  I try to read it every morning as I begin my day:  

Jesus, may all that is you
flow into me.
May Your body and blood be
my food and my drink.
May Your passion and death
be my strength and my life.
With You by my side, enough has been given.

May the shelter I seek
be the shadow ofYour cross.
LORD, let me not run 
from the love which you offer,
But hold me safe
from the forces of evil.  
And on each of my dyings
shed Your light and Your love.
Keep calling me, LORD, until 
the day that, with Your saints,
I may praise You
Forever and ever.
AMEN

I often remind people that God comes to us in many ways if we open our eyes and ears to receive His call and input into our lives.  It can be the beggar on the street that softens our heart, a difficult encounter that graces us with the gift of patience, or for me, simply the humility to admit that I am in over my head and need to ask for help.  All of these experiences can provide growth, lift our hearts and lighten our step if we but see them as a gift from a loving God.   

Again, I love the Responsorial Psalm:  
When I called, you answered me; 
you built up strength within me . . .
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.

If we really believe that God created us and knew us before we were born, how could we not trust that He will care for us in our time of need -- and not just then, but 'on the day I called for help, you answered me.'  If only our other requests for help could be that immediate.  As in the Gospel, we need to trust that when we ask for help we will not get our hand bitten -- especially if we invoke the assistance of a loving God in our request.  

I love the bottom line in the Gospel -- 'Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.'  Respond as God would, as you would like to be responded to when someone seeks you out for help -- no shaming or condescending attitude.  Allow yourself to be a conduit of the love of God in your response, realize the vulnerability in the one seeking help, see their request as a gift and treat it as a gift with the same tender kindness that God would offer to you.

1 comment:

  1. Mom
    You have no idea how much I needed to read your post! Thank you so much for this reflection. I think I have lost sight of this connection this week. Sometimes I think it is so easy to get wrapped up into the pressures of our routines and the demands of life, it easy to lose sight of what is truly important. Lately I have found myself in a bit of a self loathing or self pitying mood. I have gotten into this rut of thinking that "no one can possibly understand the pressure I am under, or the amount of work I have to do, or whatever other excuse I can throw my way." It wasn't under this post that I realized I've kind of lost my way and lost sight of what is truly important. I absolutely love the prayer you posted and am going to make it a new promise to read every morning before I greet my students, hopefully it will guide my heart and help me to see the beauty of God in all things again.

    ReplyDelete