Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday, February 20, 2013


My apologies for being so late to post, Laura!  Monday and Tuesday were crazy with catch up work from the ME Weekend.  I'm unsure what a normal life is any more!

I am struck by the following from the Responsorial Psalm of today's readings.  I do not get off on sack cloth and ashes nor even fasting.  I see much more value in eating a hearty, healthy meal and using those calories to do productive work from which others may benefit.  A contrite, humble heart and spirit is foundational for me.  


R. A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, 
you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, 
O God, you will not spurn.
R. A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.

Being a servant to others is how I want to live my life, even as I 'lead' in the office or in Encounter, or in parenting.  Listening when I'd rather be getting stuff done, spending time with a worried, but otherwise well patient offering reassurance, doing the mundane and not looking for glory, seeking and accepting forgiveness, letting go of hurts and not carrying a grudge is exemplary for me of a servant with a contrite heart. Working together with others on equal footing, pulling together for the common good, being a cheerleader rather than center stage and taking delight in lifting others up is living with a humble heart.  I hate it when I see myself needing to be in the spotlight or find myself blaming when I should more appropriately be asking forgiveness.  Striving to live with a contrite and humble heart, is quiet, simple everyday living.  It is not as demonstrative as sack cloth and ashes, but it is where I'd rather be.  
Love,
MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment