I think these readings fit so naturally after yesterday's reflections. Mom, I really love the images you pulled from the psalm, the prayer, and the Gospel. Yesterday we focused on welcoming God into our life, allowing for that loss of control and trusting that God's guidance will shape and direct our life in order to reconnect us with our creator. I think today's readings challenge us to become that guide, that take the graces we have received from God and shower them toward others. The passage that really struck me was:
Tend the flock of God in your midst,
overseeing not by constraint but willingly,
as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly.
Do not lord it over those assigned to you,
but be examples to the flock.
These words from the first reading really spoke to the teacher side of my identity. But I think they should act as guidance for what ever we called to do to better the kingdom. When I think about the trust my students instill in me and the relationships that are formed I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of my position as teacher. I have so much power to do good, but so much potential to do harm. I have always clung to the creation image of God as sculpture, elbows deep in the clay shaping God's creation to match God's own image: love. This set of readings missions us to be guides to the kingdom, not necessarily through words alone, but through our actions and interactions in the kingdom of God. We must remain open to God's love and grace and share that love with the kingdom.
Happy Friday!
This is cool! I did not get a chance to read these readings before I went into work today, but I received an email and a phone call both thanking us for the guidance we provided over the last 3 years with the new Outline in WWME. It was such a gift to be able to do it, but it is also a gift to be recognized for your work. It made my entire day go a little lighter and quicker. Being appreciated for tending the sheep makes me realize how important it is to show appreciation to others.
ReplyDelete