Happy Pi Day!
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/031413.cfm
Wow, I am finding it really difficult to connect to today's readings. I read them twice and both times I felt like saying so what. I often struggles to connect to the images of God portrayed and provided in the Old Testament. This idea that God is wrathful or vengeful so contradicts the images of God I have come to love. I understand the historical significance and I get that they were trying to provide and image that would help them to better understand their own suffering, but I have to admit I am more comforted by the idea that when I suffer, or when I am experiencing pain, sorrow, or grief, it is not because God is angry and causing revenge, but because I am human living in an imperfect world and God is not standing by critiquing my suffering but rather, she is holding my hand and embracing my pain, experiencing it with me. I think this is why I butt heads with John's Gospel messages so often. It is easier for me to love and embrace the human images of God in total perfection than it is to embrace an image of God that is untouchable. This leads to the quote I pulled:
“I do not accept human praise;
moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.
I came in the name of my Father,
but you do not accept me;
yet if another comes in his own name,
you will accept him.
It is easy to be swayed into loving and believing false of God displayed in our culture. To put all your faith in something human rather than in the belief that a loving creator is pulsing through us, enabling us to become the best versions of ourselves and willing us to connect with our total completion regardless of the hardships and pain we may experience along the way. What is your image of God? Who do you choose to believe? What do you choose to see?
Love
Laura
Hi, Laura!
ReplyDeleteI know I wrote a comment on these readings yesterday -- I'm not sure what happened to it!
I was touched by the gospel and the fact that we so often crave affirmation from others, yet we dish what we perceive as criticism by the same people. Why do we credit what is appealing and discredit what is not appealing from the same illogical source? We need to let ourselves and our relationship with our God be our soul guide when it comes to our choices and behaviors. Have a great day!
Love,
MOM