http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/032513.cfm
I read over the first reading three times, thinking about it through several perspectives. The term servant is an ambiguous term that could easily apply to many of the great leaders that arise in the Old Testament, it could apply to the prophesied leader in Jesus of the New Testament, or it could apply the reader, us, the faithful followers. This is one of the many readings in Isaiah that challenges us to become something more than our current state of being. This reading missions us to become a voice for the voiceless, to work endlessly to make this a kingdom where all persons feel an equal share in all that God has to offer.
Here is my servant whom I uphold,
my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
Upon whom I have put my Spirit;
he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
Not crying out, not shouting,
not making his voice heard in the street.
How do we bring about justice? How do we answer the call of the spirit? Sometimes its difficult to chose the right path, to do the right thing, or to stick up for the people that truly need to be protected. But this reading and this passage is the heart of our mission as Christians. We don't do this through meaningless banter and speech but through actions, through relationship, and through love.
I googled Oscar Romero this am before I went into work -- I don't know why? Yesterday was the anniversary of his birth -- these readings are so wonderfully fitting to him. I know it is pure coincidence, but it is really neat. I must admit as I worked through by day every time I thought about him or the Gospel reading a big smile came across my face. I live with great hope that Pope Francis will continue to model a life of Servant Leadership and service to the poor.
ReplyDelete